Monday, April 9, 2012

1.9 - Just a Whore

True to her word, Melody is at Naveen’s door first thing the following morning. She’s a little nervous over meeting the most notorious and elusive thief this side of Bridgeport, but she trusts Naveen enough to put her safety in his hands.
“There’s no need to be afraid.” he promises, easing her fears. “I will never let anyone hurt you.”



“Naveen is very good at keeping those he loves safe.” The green haired young woman adds, coming from a side room Melody hadn’t even noticed. 




“I am Jane.” She says with a smile, looking at her sister’s for the face for the first time in years. Tears almost come to her eyes but she holds them back. Unless Melody recognizes her first, she won’t say anything. “It’s wonderful to finally meet the woman Naveen’s told me so much about. You make him so happy and I’m sorry to have kept you apart for so long.”




Melody didn’t hear a word she said. When she first laid eyes on Jane she didn’t recognize her, just a strange feeling of deja-vu. And then it hit her. Her dad’s eyes, her dad’s hair, her dad’s face. Only one of his children had ever inherited that perfect combination.
“Aria...” She breathes.
Jane’s sentence falters and then fades. “I guess I sort of look just like dad, eh?”
“Almost exactly.” Melody agrees. 




“Ugh! I should have taken that facial surgery when mister Fang offered it to me in Bridgeport. I can’t stand how much I look like that bastard and I’m glad I left, even if it meant never seeing you or the little brats again.”




“Just be happy you left when you did.” Melody mutters, both girls forgetting all about the third person in the room. “After you left dad just handed us over to Aurora pretty much and she was a shitty mother. And when dad finally did grow a pair and threw her out mom forgave him as if nothing had even happened! It pissed me off so I just left and moved here with Alexandra.”




In turn Aria shares her experiences in Bridgeport. Working as a pick pocket for Fang, the crime lord of Bridgeport before becoming his favourite little pet and having him teach her everything he knew. And then when he captured Naveen and was planning on handing him over to his father’s enemies for a large bounty Aria managed to break him out and they ran off together. 
Melody tries to keep from asking questions but when Aria shows her the scar on her forehead where a bullet grazed her during the escape Melody almost passes out. Naveen just laughs. That scar was caused by Aria hitting her head on a cupboard their first night in town. The rest of the story is spot on though.




Eventually Aria’s phone buzzes and with an over exaggerated sigh she tells Melody that duty calls. Before she can leave Melody has her in a hug. 
“I’m sorry I never went looking for you.” She whispers. “I was young, and I only wanted to think about myself.”
“I never blamed you for a second.” Aria answers, being honest. “And its great being able to talk to you again. Now just promise you won’t break Naveen’s heart. Because then we’ll have a problem.”




“You knew she was my sister?” Melody asks once Aria is gone and Naveen has returned from where he was reading. 
He hesitates, but can’t lie. “I’ve known since the night you told me your real name. I’m sorry I never told you, but you never talked about your family to me. I wasn’t sure if you’d even want to meet her.”




“Then why tell me now?” She asks. “What changed?”
“Nothing changed. But I wouldn’t have felt comfortable keeping something like this from you. Married couples should have no secrets.”




Her voice catches in her throat as he pulls away from her. “Excuse me? Married?”




“Yes, married.” He confirms, dropping down onto one knee as he opens a small box, holding out the ring for her to see. “As long as you say yes, I mean.”




She doesn’t even have to think about her answer. Breathing out an almost silent “yes” as he slips the ring onto her finger with shaking hands. Apparently he was as nervous about this as she is surprised. 




Surprised... and happy. She just has to remind herself that Naveen is not her father. And he’ll never hurt her like Briar did her mother. Not all men are assholes... just most of them. And she lucked out.




In the days leading up to the wedding Serena becomes a toddler.




She and Liam become fast friends, and spend most of their days chatting to each other while playing together at the block table. She’s always trying to convince him to play dolls with her but he’d much rather not. Dolls are for girls




Mel and Naveen were planning on just hosting a small wedding, but Aria (who still goes by Jane) rents out the town’s most popular bar for them so they don’t get much of a choice in the matter. Mel doesn’t mind so much. At least the drinks ensure everyone’s going to have a good time.




Its her wedding and she will look like a celebrity bride if she wants to. Screw the cow print walls at least SHE looks awesome.




Most of the guests (like Xander Avendale back there) didn’t even know there was a wedding on location today. He’s busy trying to pick up Aria but she flat out ignores him the entire night. There are lots of rumours about that man. And none of them good.




The wedding is nothing special, and most of the guests even ignore the vows to watch Xander fall off the bull riding machine upstairs, but Melody and Naveen don’t even notice.




In their eyes everything is just perfect. Even if the bar were burning down around them Watcher doubts they’d notice.




The drinks flow freely during the party, and everyone’s more than a little tipsy by the time the night is getting on. Zane even gains the courage to tell Alexandra that he thinks she looks gorgeous tonight, and that he’d love it if she’d join him for dinner sometime, or more.




She giggles in response but doesn’t say yes or no. Sometimes its fun to lead these pretty boys on a little. It’s gotten her in trouble twice before, but she doesn’t like Zane as anything other than a friend. She isn’t attracted to him at all. 




Of course to everyone else in the room it just looks like Alexandra is flirting with another married man. And Melody has had just about enough of it.




She asks for a moment of Alexandra’s time out in the courtyard, jumping into the heart of the matter as soon as they’re out of earshot from the party. “Are you stupid or just a whore?”
“What are you talking about?”
“Zane is married, Alexandra! And so is Liam’s real father! What the hell is wrong with you? If you’re going to turn into your bitch of a sister at least have the decency to do it where I can’t see you. And NOT at my own wedding!”




Alexandra’s never been so humiliated in her life. “Just leave me alone, Mel. It’s none of your business what I do with my life or who I screw!”
“It is when I’m bringing home a husband. What, are you going to fuck him when my back is turned too?"
It takes all of Alexandra’s self control not to slap her friend right then and there.




As Melody heads back inside Alexandra stays outside to wipe her tears dry. Maybe she should just head home now, relieve the babysitter and read Liam to sleep before telling Zane she never wants to see him again. But then her phone rings, announcing a text message from the devil himself.
“Meet me upstairs in the spare room. Bouncer gave me the key and no one will have to know. I just want to be with you, forget Morgan. -Z”
Her stomach drops but her finger won’t press the delete button. Melody’s words ring in her ears and all she wants to do is go home and cry herself to sleep. But really... who cares about Morgan? About Gwen? 
“If their husbands cheat then its not my problem. There was something wrong at home to start out with.” Aurora had said that to her once, when as a child he had asked why she’d slept with Melody’s father. Alexandra’s always considered in bullshit but right now its what she’s clinging to. If she believes her sister’s words than it’s not her fault. 
She closes her phone and then heads upstairs. 




As soon as Alexandra gets upstairs she knows she’s been had. It isn’t Zane waiting for her in the bedroom.




“Hello gorgeous.” Xander purrs, flexing his admittedly very well developed chest and abdomen muscles. Not that Alexandra notices, she’s too busy being utterly disgusted. Zane never sent that text message, Xander must have grabbed his phone during the party. 




“Well as... humiliating at this is, Xander, I’m not going to sleep with you.”
“Why not? Cause I’m not married like my little brother? I’m engaged to Raydenne Amarel if that means anything to you. It doesn’t to me.”
“I’m not going to sleep with you because you make that old rockstar Foster Enmity look subtle and restrained. Didn’t you knock up Ray’s sister?”
“I did, yes.”




“Yeah this isn’t happening.” 
She moves to leave but instantly Xander’s hands are around her, pulling her back towards him with his lips by her ear. “Come on Alex, everyone in town knows you’re just a whore. You’ve slept with so many married men already, what’s one more guy? Married or no?”




She slams her heel down onto his bare foot and leaps for the door when he’s distracted from the pain. Her heart falls into the pit of her stomach when she realizes the door is locked. She won’t even let go of it when Xander grabs her to pull her away from it. 
“Give it up, doll, you’re not getting out of here until I’m done with you.”




Eventually he has her against the wall, her dress off and on the ground somewhere with tears streaming down her face. She’s screamed, cried, begged even but no one’s heard her and Xander only seems to get turned on by her fear.




She gives up, hoping somehow that Melody will notice her missing and come looking for her. Before Xander can do what he wants to.




But the party ends and no one even notices Alexandra is missing. Melody and Naveen relieve the babysitter and put the children to bed before heading to bed themselves for their wedding night. Neither spare a thought for the girl who usually sleeps in the room next door. 



---

Well I think we can all agree on a few points. 

1) That was most definitely rape.

2) Rape is bad.

3) Alex is probably going to blame herself for what happened.

Big thank you to Heaven for letting me use Xander for this plot line. It was pretty hard to write but quite honestly while writing Alexandra's full plot line it seemed like she would fall victim to this sooner or later. I just really hope I can do justice to Alexandra's healing process without downplaying the severity of everything. 

I really should have considered the difficulty level of this plot before going through with it... 

Um... um... yeah. I got nothing else. Naveen is perfect? Yeah. That'll end things on a good note.

13 comments:

  1. Foster Enmity would like to state for the record that, yeah, even he isn't this sleazy. =P

    Yeah, I can see how writing a violent rape scene would be hard. Good job.
    Considering Alexandra's past issues, with the cutting and throwing herself down the stairs and such, I imagine this will completely fuck her over mentally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foster Enmity will always be my favourite play boy. <3

      It really does fuck her over but at least she isn't alone. Still not sure if she'll actually accept anyone's help, but it is offered.

      Delete
  2. Cece! </3

    I- I- I don't know what to say. Why did it have to happen to Alex? She's already had a shitty life so far. I mean, I get it. Life sucks. But really? This just makes me sad.

    Although it makes for an interesting story, and I applaud you for trying to tackle such a difficult subject. All I can say is, if Melody doesn't realize something has happened and/or she doesn't try to help Alex, I will no longer have any respect for her.

    On a side note, the wedding made me lol. I like the venue choice, but it would have been fun to see Mel ride the mechanical bull in her wedding gown. Haha. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... I must now get a picture of Mel riding the mechanical bull in her wedding dress. No joke.

    Oh the subject gets even more difficult from here on in, especially the part that makes it so Alex will never be able to forget it happened, but thats a spoiler.

    You can still have respect for Mel. She's not THAT much of a horrible person, and Alex has been her best friend since childhood. She doesn't exactly come to the correct conclusion at first, but Alex walks her through it. Fortunately without too many details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Yeah I sighed too. Also hit my head on the desk a few times. My forehead hurts now.

      Delete
  5. First off, the happy stuff. Glad that the reunion with sisters went so well. After everything that happened, you can never be sure.

    Now, Alex. Justifications for your actions still don't make them right. At all. Whether those men had trouble at home or not, you should not get involved. I'm still sorry for what happened to her though. Bad Xander. Now I have to look at him in my game. Might have to redeem him. Maybe.

    Lastly, Melody...that "I'm bring a husband home and don't trust you" line was crap. And on such a happy day. Hopefully, she can apologize and help Alex through the tough times ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh trust me. Mel already feels like crap over what she said to Alex. She was just pissed at her friend for going over the line yet again.

      Delete
  6. Oh my! Where to start?

    Loved the sisterly reunion, was slightly afraid there would be problems there but yay :)

    It was very wrong of Alex to be ready to sleep with another married man (and one who she isn't even attracted to - why?) and justifying it on the basis that they must have problems at home does not make her any less in the wrong but she didn't deserve to be raped as a result and Xander was completely in the wrong to do that.

    I think Melody's comment about bringing home a husband was understandable, especially given what happened with her parents' marriage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm glad SOMEONE understood where Mel was coming from. Poor girl had to get her life destroyed by her dad's mistress, and then she sees her best friend turning into that same person. I'm on Mel's side!

      Delete
  7. Well then... I'm not really sure what to comment on exactly. I'm sad for Alex (obviously) and I'm glad to see "Jane" and Mel reunited (and it feels soooo good - gawd; that song will be stuck in my head. It's also completely inappropriate for a sisterly reunion. I think. I can't remember the lyrics beyond that actually). /random, random, RANDOM!

    Anyway - great chapter. Sad, but great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay you're reading my legacy again! *Hugs*

      And yes... that is MOST inappropriate for a sisterly reunion. :P Gosh Giga.

      Delete
    2. That's how I roll.

      And a hug right back at ya'. :D

      Delete